Born and raised on 126th Street in Harlem, New York, Vy is a recognized black pioneer among the city’s media elite with an impressive list of firsts:
- The first black female radio personality in the prime time New York City market on WBLS.
- First woman to host a morning show on New York radio at WWRL.
- First woman in advertising sales at Ebony magazine.
- The first black woman to produce a drama on Broadway with Joe Tuner’s Come and Gone by August Wilson.
- The first black female writer, producer, director of the longest-running, Off-Broadway musical in the history of American theatre with Mama, I Want to Sing.
Always the visionary, Vy published a magazine back in the '70s providing opportunities for black photographers, graphic designers, and media salespeople to hone their crafts.
- Unique NY Magazine: A magazine about black lifestyles showcasing black people and places in New York City.
- This Is My Song: To pass the legacy of gospel music on, Vy produced this illustrated book for children.
Her first show’s landmark success and targeted storyline single-handedly shaped a new generation of theatre-goers.
Mama, I Want to Sing: This Off-Broadway musical ran an unprecedented 8 years and 2,200 performances at the Heckscher Theatre in East Harlem, NY. From there, the show was presented in every major city from Philadelphia to San Francisco followed by international acclaim with performances in Austria, Japan, Switzerland, London, Italy, Turkey, and Greece.
- Mama, I Want to Sing, Part II, Let the Music Play Gospel, Gospel Is, I Gotta Praise and Let Me Off in Harlem: Five additional shows that Vy conceived, wrote and produced.
As Founder and Executive Director, Vy is the primary force behind her foundation’s daily duties and its long-term goals.
- Mama Foundation for the Arts: This not-for-profit organization founded in 2000 is dedicated to nurturing talented black youth in the art
For today’s marketers, Vy offers across-the-board media expertise. And, she brings her own special tools and talents as well: the rich, velvety voice that has propelled a myriad of products, people and events her infectious personality, and her natural spontaneity…the perfect package for winning audiences!
- Product Spokesperson
- Public Relations Professional
- Keynote Speaker
- Mistress of Ceremonies
- Ordained Interfaith Minister
- Director of Great Events
MORE ABOUT KEYNOTE ADDRESSES